Flooding incidents pose serious risks to life and property. In the United States, flooding remains as the leading cause of weather-related deaths. In coastal states such as Florida, flooding is an expected event especially during times of severe weather, such as hurricanes, storms or heavy rain. Preparing your property is of top priority to prevent incurring large losses as much as possible.
If you are new to Florida or are looking for ways to protect your property from flood damage this hurricane season, read these tips compiled by Armstrong Water Mold Cleanup & Restorations.
Evaluate your flood risk.
- Knowing if your area is a flood-risk zone can help you decide about the specific kind of preparation you need to make.
- Check the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for flood maps and risk assessments to fully understand your community’s flood risk.
Prepare your property.
- Install sump pumps to prevent basement flooding. If you already have a sump pump installed, have it inspected by a professional to repair any existing damage.
- Clean your gutters and drains to allow water to flow freely and prevent it from pooling and seeping into your attic or foundation.
- Grade your landscape to direct water away from your structure.
- Elevate electrical systems, such as outlets and switches, at least a foot above flood level.
- During imminent flooding, protect your property by laying down sandbags to resist water entry.
Prepare your emergency evacuation plan.
- Flooding events may require you to move to a higher floor or higher ground. Creating an emergency plan even before flooding happens will help you and your family members know what actions to take during an actual flood.
- Discuss your emergency plan with your family often to help everyone get familiar with their specific function.
Get flood insurance.
- Basic homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage, so residents of flood-prone areas should secure a separate flood insurance policy to protect their property.
- Homeowners can check the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) managed by FEMA to find an insurance provider and enable them to recover faster when floodwaters recede.
Call Armstrong for Water Damage Restoration Service
Get your home restored to pre-loss condition after a flooding disaster in Southwest Florida. Armstrong Water Mold Cleanup & Restorations is an experienced, certified, licensed and insured general contractor and a specialist in providing water damage, mold remediation and all levels of disaster restoration in Southwest Florida since 2005.
- We are IICRC Certified in Water Damage Restoration, Applied Structural Drying, Fire & Smoke Restoration and Applied Microbial Remediation (#100623)
- We are certified to be Lead-Safe by the US Environmental Protection Agency (#NAT-F155753-1, issued 7-10-2015)
- We work with your insurance company to maximize the covered benefits for property restoration.
All workmanship is 100% guaranteed. Call Armstrong Water Mold Cleanup & Restorations at (239) 592-3777 or contact us online. We are located in 1230 Hemingway Dr., Fort Myers, FL 33912. We offer a FREE inspection and estimate and respond in 2 hours or less.
Got Water Damage? Got Mold?
FREE Inspection and Estimate
Residential – Commercial Certified Mold Inspectors / 24/7 Services / Response Time 2 Hours or Less